Fedora core 3 / XP dual boot

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Sun Mar 13 14:47:32 UTC 2005

>I went out yesterday and bought myself a new laptop (HP Pavilion
>ze2000), which came with XP installed.
>So, first thing to do: get Fedora 3 on it of course!
>I'd really like to dual boot it - and after reading the red-hat docs, Im
>still not totally sure what to do....
>My hard drive is not currently partitioned.
>Do I need to partition it pre install, or will it be possible to
>partition during install? (if so, will I be given the option as to how
>much free room to leave on the XP partition, and is the partitioning
>non-destructive?).
>
>Would be really grateful for any advice....

A couple other notes that might be helpful.

You may find a small (40MB or so) FAT partition on the original disk.
It's the XP "utility partition".  If it's there, leave it alone.

30GB for Fedora is way plenty for an install.

Technically, after dual-booting the system, you will probably void your
warranty, so don't tell HP about it.

The nasty dual-boot bug of FC2 appears to be a thing of the past.

Good luck and enjoy!   Erik