how do i add user accounts in FC3?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Mar 13 15:42:34 UTC 2005

Am So, den 13.03.2005 schrieb Zach Wilkinson um 16:32:

> Redhat docs say to use useradd or system-config-users.
> useradd gives me an error about not being able to
> rewrite the password file.
> In system-config-users, I go to add a user, I fill-out
> the form, but when I click to add the window goes
> translucent and the pointer changes to an hourglass
> and stays that way.
> SELinux was set to active during the install, and I
> did find seuseradd, but that gives me the same error
> as regular useradd.
> I know this isn't system specific because I've tried
> this on three different systems, one fresh install
> with latest yum update.

useradd / adduser is the proper CLI tool, or system-config-users if a
GUI is requested.
I suspect you have a misconfigured authconfig?

$ grep "yes" /etc/sysconfig/authconfig
USECRACKLIB=yes
USEMD5=yes
USESHADOW=yes

This is all to be set for a local auth system. Did you enable other
things?

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 16:38:45 up 19:11, 16 users, 0.34, 0.36, 0.21