Info: NeroLINUX published - Nero burning software for Linux platforms

Sean O Sullivan seanos at netsoc.itcarlow.ie
Sun Mar 13 18:04:52 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 06:11:29PM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> [ preface: this shall be no merchandising ]
>
> For those knowing Nero Burning ROM from Windows® might be interested to
> know that ahead.de now published a Linux version:
>
> http://www.ahead.de/de/NeroLINUX.html
>
> (Sorry, so far I don't see the announcement on the English language
> page. Bablefish might help. I will try to communicate importants facts
> following.)
>
> If you already have a valid Nero 6 license for Windows® (full version or
> retail version - not any OEM version) you can get the Linux version for
> free after registration with ahead.
> All three Fedora Core releases (1, 2 and 3) are listed as possible 32bit
> platforms to run NeroLINUX on. Attention: There will be no technical
> support.
>
> Keep in mind that this software is neither open source nor GPL software.
> I can't tell you whether and if what you may get more or better compared
> to cdrecord and the known GUI frontends xcdroast or k3b.
>
> Alexander

Nero provide no support
looking at the GUI, it is fairly unpolished (compared to k3b/eroaster .. etc etc)
I don't see any reason to use this & I don't see what Nero are trying to do.
Nero is very sucessful on windows, as there are not many good alternatives, there are on linux.
If you are expected to pay for a product (you must purchase nero6 to download linuxnero) on Linux, you expect support at least, if not a nice system/interface.

It sems to me as if they are trying to make sales by appealing somewhat to the Linux community, but sadly have gotten it very very wrong.

Regards,

Sean