OT: Worth learning python?

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Sun Mar 13 18:34:13 UTC 2005

dave irving wrote:

> I've recently installed Fedora 3, and have been getting a few
> bluetooth things set up (i've finally got gnome-bluetooth-manager and
> gammu working!). One thing I've noticed is that quite a few libraries
> seem to be using Python these days.
> Im going to want to be writing a few simple apps to use my bluetooth
> stuff: Im mainly a Java / c++ programmer (and know a little perl) -
> but going forward with Linux is there a good argument for learning
> Python too? If so I might order myself a book!!
>
> P.s: Alexander - Im know posting from Gmail so hopefully no more
> Outlook woes :o)

Yes.  I love it.  It is probably my favorite language right now.  Very
simple, elegant, compact, well designed.  It is very consistent in its
syntax as well has how it implements "programming concepts" (yeah, I can't
think of a better term).  It has a huge library and tons of 3rd party
modules and bindings (I love the QT and KDE bindings).

Once I learned Python, I avoided C++ as much as possible, especially for GUI
apps.  Also, like someone already mentioned, it is a pleasure to program
in.

Just my opinion.