Archive Searches - Suggested Approaches

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 18:39:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:51:56 -0500, David Curry <dsccable at comcast.net> wrote:
> fedora-list archives contain a tremendous amount of information relevant
> to each fedora distribution or release.  Retrieving that informaiton has
> proven problematic if one relies, or attempts to rely, on fedora-list
> archive search engine.  Here are two ways that "just work".
>
> 1.  "Google is your friend" is the single most helpful bit of advice
> offered to me as a fedora newbie.
>
> Googling fedora issues almost invariable returns multiple hits.  Of
> course, one's google search criterion/criteria are important here and
> multiple attempts on keyword variations may be needed.  One particularly
> helpful way to narrow the search (offered by Paul Haworth) is to include
> mailing list name in the search crieteria.  Some examples:
>  fedora-list + "boot hang"
> fedora-config-list + pup
>
> 2. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/ provides gateways to a plethora of
> mailing lists, including fedora.  Again, the search engine provided
> "just works."  My experience with the site remains quite limited at this
> point but definitely been promising after getting past the color scheme
> (white text on black background). Retrieval of the complete archival
> record on a particular topic may require multiple searches.  Searches
> are limited to archival record of individual months.

There has been a recent discussion about "list rules", and one of the
points discussed are list archives. Apparently, although MARC has a
good search engine, it fails in sorting the messages by subject, not
by reference, which leads to boken threads when someone makes small
changes to the subject. In this case, there's also the gmane archives,
which seem to have a good search engine, and to preserve the threads.
The compilation (**NOT up-to-date**) of the draft list rules being
developed, that has links to the various archives, can be found here:

http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~seabra/linux/FedoraRules.html

(scroll down to "part 2: useful resources" to find archives.)

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680