sendmail under AOL (Was still no sednamil but a clue)

William John Murray w.murray at rl.ac.uk
Sun Mar 13 18:45:38 UTC 2005

  Thank to all those who helped me with this. I learnt a lot!

  I discovered that:
 *) AOL does pull all port 25 traffic into their server
 *) Port 587 is not trapped - but my smtp server does not seem
     to support it

  After playing with 'ethereal' for a while, comparing evolution emails
and sendmail ones I suspect that aol may be deliberately rejecting all
sendmail. It would not be ridiculous. But it may be DNS issues as others
suggested.
   Anyway, I am using a workround - opening an pptp tunnel to my
employers internal smtp server, and using it.

   Thank again for holding my hand.
    Bill