Linking Wired and Wireless network...

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 19:26:16 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 00:11, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:

> I did a test after purchasing my own wireless card. In downloading
> the same file from the same remote site with a wired and wireless
> machine. The wireless machine got 40K per second, while the wired
> machine got 8K per second.

This is probably a temporary situation and will change as more
users start to share the wireless link.

> The campus is setup by MIS with 4 Class C networks running on a
> single physical network (no subnets, no routing.) Only router is the
> one that connects to the T-1 line, and it has a 10MB ethernet
> interface. Three of the 4 networks are in the dhcpd pool, so I end up
> with classroom have a mix of all 3 networks. Without added routing
> entries, traffic would have to go thru the 10MB rounter instead of
> directly.

If your 4 class C's are adjacent and aligned on the right
bit-boundary they could be supernetted with a netmask
of 255.255.252.0.  That won't help with internet access,
but machine<->machine communication would not need to
bounce though the router.  I'd be surprised if that isn't
the case already.

> So, working with MIS isn't an option at this point. I was thinking of
> adding a wireless card to my fedora machine which also runs a
> squid proxy server used by my lab.
>
> Is there something that would help this, or am I wasting my time..

If most of the lab communication is workstation<->server you
could dual-nic the server with a NAT configuration and use a
local switch for the lab workstations.  Adding a wireless
link would work, but in this situation it sounds it would
be even better if someone could set up a larger caching
proxy that your squid and others could configure as a parent
to share the cache.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com