FC3 Hardware RAID with Adaptec 29320A-R SCSI

Klaus Steinberger Klaus.Steinberger at Physik.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Sun Mar 13 19:55:19 UTC 2005

> I have this card with 2 15k SCSI drives.  I can create the RAID arrays
> but the FC3 will keep on seeing 2 individual drives, not a RAID 0 or 1
> array.  I am running a dual Xeon system with FC3 x86_64.
This is an "Host Raid" Adapter Card. Maybe sometimes dmraid will support them.
But for now only software Raid will work with FC3.

> Considering the differences between versions would any of the Adaptec
> drivers work with FC3?
No as they are for 2.4 Kernels, and Adaptec does not provide Source Code for
Host Raid HBA's. You will even run into trouble with Errata Kernels for RH9.

> Otherwise I'll go for the software RAID.
Currently I see no other way with the Host Raid HBA's from Adaptec.

Sincerly,
Klaus

--
Klaus Steinberger         Maier-Leibnitz Labor
Phone: (+49 89)289 14287  Am Coulombwall 6, D-85748 Garching, Germany

In a world without Walls and Fences, who needs Windows and Gates