Info: NeroLINUX published - Nero burning software for Linux platforms

Sean O Sullivan seanos at netsoc.itcarlow.ie
Sun Mar 13 20:42:35 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 06:19:33PM +0000, a a wrote:
> Sean:
>
> > I don't see any reason to use this & I don't see what Nero are trying to do.
>
> it is plain obvious that you have not considered that what Nero is
> tryong to do is expand to providing a product for the linux os. that
> is not a sinister move, it is a recognition of the growing popularity
> of linux

I did consider it, and I think you are being a little naive is all ...

> > Nero is very sucessful on windows, as there are not many good alternatives, there are on linux.
>
> untrue. Nero is very successful on windows cos it is simply one of the
> best apps, there are tens and tens of alternatives

I never said nero on windows wasn't good - I believe it to be excellent, and the only good burning app, I do not believe there are a wide range of _good_ cd burning applications on Linux.

> > If you are expected to pay for a product (you must purchase nero6 to download linuxnero) on Linux, you expect support at least, if not a nice system/interface.
>
> Nero are not expecting people to buy a windows license so they can
> obtain a linux version. this is simply Nero saying "hey we recognise
> that linux is an os to code for and we better start somewhere by
> making an effort at a linux implementation" they cant support it cos
> they dont as yet have a linux infrastructure ... it is obvious that
> this is an emerging project

They are a business, they are doing this to make money - they are not charging (directly) for it, so that they do not have to support it, or listen to users complain of problems.
They don't have a linux infrastructure ? They coded it for Linux (in part anyways *ahem*), so if they were able to code (and debug?/test?) it, then why shouldn't they be able to support it ??

> > It sems to me as if they are trying to make sales by appealing somewhat to the Linux community, but sadly have gotten it very very wrong.
>
> you got it very very wrong Sean. if everyone had your defensive,
> partisan, entrenched attitude to developments then very little would
> ever be achieved.

I think the problem is a naivity on your behalf, not a defensivness on mine.

To put my point in a different way ...
Nero is _GREAT_ on windows, as there are no other alternatives in it's class (i.e. programs where you have control & can choose options to that detail).
On Linux, there is lots of great programs for burning CDs - from command line to GUI (and usually the GUIs just use the command line cdrecord).
Why companies buy software as opposed to using free alternatives ? Support/accountability.
Nero are selling this software, and not providing any support.

Also,
"Nero has licensed (parts of) GnomeToaster's GUI code"

I would much prefer if companies made software and released under GPL, who knows, maybe even support their program ?

> i say well done to Nero for making the effort and wish then every
> success with their project and maybe one day they can aspire to a
> linux app that everyone will want to use, just like they did on
> windows

Well done to GnomeToaster developer, his code must have stood out, congrats.
Well done to K3b for giving Linux a GPL'd cd burning app, which works, and works well - lovely app, congrats
Well done to eRoaster crew, nice clean GUI, works very well with any burner I've used, and use for burning images.
Congrats to XRoast for providing yet another Free cd burning app.

I'll stop hammering my point now,

Regards,

Sean