FC2 cannot access networked printer

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Mar 13 20:13:46 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 12.03.2005 schrieb Richard Schmitt um 3:19:

> Yesterday I installed a Netgear Print Server PS101 network connection on
> my HP Laserjet IIIP. The two Windows computer on my LAN ( one running
> WIN98SE, the other WINXPHome) can both print on the HP Laserjet. The
> Linux FC2 desktop cannot.
>
> The original installation of the Netgear Print Server installed a
> permanent IP address and disabled DHCP. I changed that and enabled DHCP
> but that made no difference.
>
> In the network the "NETGEAR" network node (the printer) shows up but is
> marked as accessible only to root. Its permissions are "read" and
> nothing else and those permissions cannot be changed even if I log on as
> "root"
>
> I have googled this extensively but have not found any page that is
> helpful.
>
> testparm results:
> [heschel at Winsoren heschel]$ testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
[...]

> Thanks, Richard Schmitt

Why not simply using CUPS?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&w=2&r=1&s=netgear+ps110&q=b

There you find too some discussion by me about the Netgear printer
servers. I run a PS110 myself - without a major problem.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 21:11:34 up 23:44, 17 users, 0.33, 0.36, 0.35