SB AWE 64 card not detected

Billy Tallis wtallis at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 22:43:16 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:25:18 -0600, Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Paul Murtaugh wrote:
> > I just upgraded from RH9 to FC2, and my Creative Sound Blaster
> > AWE64 is not being detected.  (When I run system-config-soundcard,
> > I get 'No soundcards were detected'.)  Nor does the hardware
> > browser find a soundcard.
> >
> >>From 'dmesg':
> >
> > isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
> > pnp: SB audio device quirk - increasing port range
> > pnp: AWE32 quirk - adding two ports
> > isapnp: Card 'Creative SB AWE64  PnP'
> > isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total
> > Real Time Clock Driver v1.12
> >
> > Does anyone have suggestions about what I might try?  Would the
> > problems likely go away if I just get a new soundcard? (This
> > card is 5 or 6 years old, I think.)
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Paul
> >

> I fought this battle several months ago on another machine and was
> amazed that FC could NEVER find the soundcard but KNOPPIX ALWAYS found
> it. I can't remember who put me on the trail but I wound up rebuilding
> the alsa-utils package so that alsaconf does not get removed after it's
> compiled. That chore outta the way, running /sbin/alsaconf takes care of
>   the heavy lifting and there is sound.
> As previously suggested, a modern sound care would be better but I just
> HATE to throw stuff away when it still works.
>
> --

I seem to recall that the wonderful utility sndconfig from RH9 and
earlier was dropped from FC because it is only for legacy sound cards.
I have an AWE64 in a pc that will soon get linux, and I think that it
is compatible. I think the AWE64 was even truly soundblaster
compatible, something that could be useful for legacy software.  There
should be nothing stopping you from using it on Fedora. You will just
have to do without sndconfig, which probably does not even work with
the 2.6 kernels.