Info: NeroLINUX published - Nero burning software for Linux platforms

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Mar 13 23:25:33 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 21:59 +0100, Nils Holland wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 18:19 +0000, a a wrote:
> > Sean:
> >
> > > If you are expected to pay for a product (you must purchase nero6 to download linuxnero) on Linux, you expect support at least, if not a nice system/interface.
> >
> > Nero are not expecting people to buy a windows license so they can
> > obtain a linux version.
>
> Actually, it's like this: When you buy Nero online, you get a serial
> number you can use to unlock your copy of Nero (which is available as
> try-before-you-buy" software that works for a certain period of time).
> If you buy Nero in a box, you get a CD with the try-before-you-buy
> version, along with a printed serial number that you can use to unlock
> it.
>
> So, what Nero (previously Ahead Software) is doing here is this: They
> say that you can use your Nero 6 serial number in both the Linux and the
> Windows version, and you are allowed to use *both*. That is, if you
> already have a Nero 6 serial (either by buying from Ahead online or by
> buying the box), you can just go ahead and use that serial with the
> Linux version. If you don't have the Windows version but only the Linux
> version, just go to their website and "buy" Nero 6, which will result in
> a serial number being issued to you that you can use without ever having
> to download the Windows version.
>
> So actually, one can say that this is a rather nice policy: You can
> either buy (a serial number for) the Linux version, or - if you already
> have Nero on Windows - Ahead is so kind that it lets you use your
> existing serial on Linux. No need to pay again.
>
> Now, this was only for clarification purposes. Personally, I don't think
> I need Nero Linux, because I'm happy with cdrecord and k3b. However,
> saying that you have to buy the Windows version to get the Linux version
> is - like A A said - not really correct.
>
> Greetings,
> Nils

Okay, so I was wrong in my reply to A A a moment ago about having to buy
Windows AND the Windows version just to get the Linux version for trial.

However, it still stands that I cannot even try NeroLINUX until I have
registered and presumably have paid for the product.  Their advertising
of FREE is thus not totally true.  Sean's comment about paying for
something and getting no support still stands as well.