phpMyAdmin installation problem

Amy Stinson tzaia at stinsonfamily.com
Sun Mar 13 23:44:58 UTC 2005

On 12 Mar 2005 at 21:43, a a wrote:

> I am installing phpMyAdmin and I have extracted the files to
> /usr/phpMyAdmin-2.6.1-pl3/
>
> I have edited the config.inc.php according to the installation
> instructions and I have turned off zlib compression as stated in the
> troubleshooting FAQ. I even went to the phpMyAdmin help forum at
> sourceforge and read an UNSOLVED thread with my exact same problem
> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1242004&forum_id=7290
> 9

As you've probably seen phpMyAdmin is not a linux/unix/windows program.  It is an OS
independent PHP bunch of scripts and as such needs to be put in a directory that can
be accessed via HTTP in a php enabled environment, which is done by default in FC3.
The quick and dirty is to put it in the /var/www/html directory in an obscure directory.

What is not installed by default is MySQL server.

Regardless, you won't be able to access MySQL anyway unless you update SELinux
and IPTables as the port is blocked by default in the original install.

Have fun and welcome to the mad, mad world of Fedora.

Tzaia

Amy Stinson
Amy's Answers, LLC
email:  astinson at amys-answers.com