Info: NeroLINUX published - Nero burning software for, Linux platforms

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 00:35:11 UTC 2005

a a wrote:

 > the linux community is going to see a lot of changes as windows users
 > cross-over to linux. these users think differently because they are
 > accustomed to a very open and ill-defined public arena largely
 > populated by semi-computer-literate types, children and the
 > mass-unwashed ... where-as the linux community is a tight band of
 > highly literate and technical power-users. the windows world is
 > dominated by a highly active open discussion forum of what is the best
 > and why and Nero's business strategy is to pick up these users as they
 > cross-over because these users already know the brand ... there is no
 > reason why Nero will not very quickly become the no.1 on linux as it
 > is on wondows and what is more they will do it because they are very
 > well funded (means not for free)

While I agree with this analysis, and in fact I think it's a good thing
that Windows users won't be thinking "I can't change to Linux because
it doesn't suppport x", you have to wonder just how long it will take
the majority of them to realise that their distro already includes an
equally capable utility[1].  I'm glad Nero have decided to dabble in
Linux support, I'm just curious what their business model is.

[1] Roughly eternity, that's why they're still Windows users.

--
imalone