Help -- can't compile PAN

John Aldrich john at chattanooga.net
Mon Mar 14 02:48:32 UTC 2005

I'm attempting to compile the CVS version of the PAN newsreader. I've been
able to connect to CVS and download, but I can't compile. I can't get past
the autogen.sh step (that's the first step...) Here's what I get when I try
to compile:

checking for autoconf >= 2.53...
  testing autoconf2.50... not found.
  testing autoconf... found 2.59
checking for automake = 1.4...
  testing automake-1.4... found 1.4
checking for glib-gettext >= 2.2.0...
  testing glib-gettextize... found 2.4.8
checking for intltool >= 0.25...
  testing intltoolize... found 0.31.2
checking for pkg-config >= 0.14.0...
  testing pkg-config... found 0.15.0
Checking for required M4 macros...
Checking for forbidden M4 macros...
**Warning**: I am going to run `configure' with no arguments.
If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on the
`/usr/local/bin/gnome-autogen.sh' command line.

Processing ./configure.in
Running glib-gettextize... Ignore non-fatal messages.
Copying file mkinstalldirs
Copying file po/Makefile.in.in

Please add the files
  codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
  progtest.m4
from the /usr/share/aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.

Running intltoolize...
patching file po/Makefile.in.in
Running aclocal-1.4...
aclocal: configure.in: 138: macro `AM_ICONV' not found in library

I read that it seems to REQUIRE a certain version of Automake or something.
However, it doesn't appear I'm getting that far. As you can see, it's wanting
those .m4 files, which I can't seem to find. I have double-checked that I
have the correct libs and everything, but I don't seem to have the *.m4 files
anywhere. Any ideas as to how to get them?

Thanks
 John