SB AWE 64 card not detected

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 03:58:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:43:16 -0500, Billy Tallis <wtallis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:25:18 -0600, Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Paul Murtaugh wrote:
> > > I just upgraded from RH9 to FC2, and my Creative Sound Blaster
> > > AWE64 is not being detected.  (When I run system-config-soundcard,
> > > I get 'No soundcards were detected'.)  Nor does the hardware
> > > browser find a soundcard.

> > > isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
> > > pnp: SB audio device quirk - increasing port range
> > > pnp: AWE32 quirk - adding two ports
> > > isapnp: Card 'Creative SB AWE64  PnP'
> > > isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total
> > > Real Time Clock Driver v1.12
> > >
> > > Does anyone have suggestions about what I might try?  Would the
> > > problems likely go away if I just get a new soundcard? (This
> > > card is 5 or 6 years old, I think.)
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Paul
> > >

> > I fought this battle several months ago on another machine and was
> > amazed that FC could NEVER find the soundcard but KNOPPIX ALWAYS found
> > it. I can't remember who put me on the trail but I wound up rebuilding
> > the alsa-utils package so that alsaconf does not get removed after it's
> > compiled. That chore outta the way, running /sbin/alsaconf takes care of
> >   the heavy lifting and there is sound.
> > As previously suggested, a modern sound care would be better but I just
> > HATE to throw stuff away when it still works.
> >
> > --
> >

> I seem to recall that the wonderful utility sndconfig from RH9 and
> earlier was dropped from FC because it is only for legacy sound cards.
> I have an AWE64 in a pc that will soon get linux, and I think that it
> is compatible. I think the AWE64 was even truly soundblaster
> compatible, something that could be useful for legacy software.  There
> should be nothing stopping you from using it on Fedora. You will just
> have to do without sndconfig, which probably does not even work with
> the 2.6 kernels.

Your problem may be do to the transition from modules.conf to
modprobe.conf. Backup the data you want to keep and perform a new
install. I recommend that you install FC3 since FC2 is going into
legacy mode shortly (next month?). I have not had any problems with
FC1, FC2 or FC3 detecting the AWE64 card on my system. I wish the same
could be said for my other ISA soundcards.