telnet, ftp, and Fedora core 3

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 04:11:12 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:51:49 -0800, Betty Chang <bettyc at bettyc.com> wrote:
> Hi -- how do I get fedora core3 to be configured to run telnet and ftp
> servers?
>
> I've played around with the Services configuration screen, and the security
> settings, but somehow I cannot get an
> ftp or a telnet going.

For ftp you need a vsftp package ,which is there in the FC3 cd or dvd.

For enabling ftp

chkconfig --level 235 vsftpd on

then service vsftpd on

the ftp server will start running,for any changes in the ftp server
edit this file /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

For telnet
you can to install the telnet package ,you can see in the  add/remove
packages where you have installed the telnet package or not.

You can start the telnet service ,go to system tools and then services
,start the telnet services.
Telnet service depends upon xinetd daemon.If you want to start the
telnet service from command line after installing the telnet package
restart/reload the xinetd daemon

service xinetd reload.

Regards

Ankush