Fedora core 3 / XP dual boot

Paul subsolar at subsolar.org
Mon Mar 14 05:28:56 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 19:17 -0800, T Raymond wrote:
> Hi,
> You do have to use a partitioning software to dual boot. In my class and
> textbook, they say to do that first. HTH.
> --Teresa

I've done it both ways ... setting up the partitions first then
installing and installing windows first and telling it to use just X MB
of disk space and then installing Linux later and letting it take the
rest of the disk.

The only downside with the latter is that the /boot partition will
almost certainly be after the 1024 cylinder boundary that old BIOSes
have trouble with.  If your dealing with a newer system it should not
matter.

The former lets you optimize your partitions better, especially if your
running Linux most the time.  This lets you setup the Linux partitions
in the first part of the drive and Windows in the slower last 2/3rd of
the drive.