Fedora core 3 / XP dual boot

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 05:53:02 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:56:31 -0000, Irving, Dave
<Dave.Irving at logicacmg.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > Technically, after dual-booting the system, you will probably void
> your warranty,
> > so don't tell HP about it.
>
> I don't doubt it, and I don't intend to :o)

I don't think so.  I have a Compaq R3000Z and am on a list of people
who have put Linux on their machines.  Some have talked about getting
their computers serviced by HP after installing Linux.  I don't think
anyone have mentioned having trouble with HP complaining about putting
Linux on and the warranty.  Now, if you do need to use the warranty, I
don't think there is any guarantee that it will still have Linux on it
when you get it back....  Also, if you have a problem in Linux, they
will be less likely to listen unless you can replicate the problem in
Windows.  But overall, HP has been pretty good with Linux.  Some BIOS
fixes have come out that resolved problems with Linux.

Sorry Dave, I saw your thread late.  I've been almost exactly where
you were.  I've actually been working on documenting ever thing on a
website.  This includes resizing the Windows partition, running chkdsk
/f to get qtparted to work, etc.  Oh well, you figured it all out
anyway.  I can send you a link off-list if you want.  It's about to go
down, as the lightening is getting pretty fierce here.  I don't want
to broadcast it on this list as I'm running it from home on an old
computer and I only have cable.  Don't know what would happen if a
bunch of people around the world wanted to look at it at once ;).

Jonathan