Fedora core 3 / XP dual boot [SOLVED]

Irving, Dave Dave.Irving at logicacmg.com
Mon Mar 14 08:53:19 UTC 2005

 Hi,

Well, I left the office last night with a successful install of Fedora 3
on to my new laptop (which already had XP on it).
Thanks so much for all the advice and help yesterday - I wouldn't have
got it done without it and its greatly appreciated.

Just in case its of any interest to anyone, here's what I did to get it
working:

1) Defragged my XP partition
2) Ran chkdsk /f (from XP) (QTParted wouldn't work without this...)
3) Burned the system rescue cd  from http://www.sysresccd.org/ and
booted my box from it
4) This wouldn't start up on my HP Pavillion ze2000, but if I booted
with 'nodetect' it was fine (so I booted with fb1024 nodetect)
5) Used QTParted from this CD to resize my partition (I used a 50/50
split - Im sure I might resize again when my usage dictates it)
6) Installed fedora using automatic partioning, and selected Grub to go
in the master boot record (the default)

It all went very smoothly, and both XP and Fedora are running happily (I
cant get sound in Fedora at the moment, and cant change the resolution -
but these are both things I can look in to later - and certainly aren't
directly related to this thread).

Cheers,

Dave