CD driver reads causes error by reading too far ahead

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Mar 14 10:21:03 UTC 2005

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
>
> | > 	cmp: /dev/hdd: Input/output error
> |
> | See:
> | https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-January/msg00453.html
> | and "man isosize" for workarounds.
>
> Thanks, that thread is interesting and I had not seen it.  A screen
> saver / ACPI was kicking in during a CD burn and causing a blip in
> what was written.
>
> It does not look to be the same as my problem.  My problem is that
> somewhere in the driver stack a decision is being made to attempt to
> read past the end of the content of the CD.  This is bad because (a) I
> cannot seem to ask it not to happen and (b) it generates read errors
> that prevent me seeing even the good part of the CD.

The thread above refers to the low-level CD driver not being able to
detect properly the end of a CD. Burning CDs with cdrecord's "-pad"
option is a workaround that can be used, as is the "isosize" program,
which can used to check a read-from-CD image and determine how big it
should actually be (i.e. how much junk to remove from the end of it so
that you end up with a pristine copy of the original ISO filesystem).

As this bug has been in the kernel for some time and seems to be quite
well known, I'd be surprised if there was anybody actively working on a
fix for it right now (as they could have done so long ago). I wonder why
this is?

> BTW, you MUA (Evolution) put a line break in the middle of the URL.
> I've fixed it in my quote.  Is there a way to tell Evolution not to do
> that?

It doesn't normally do that; looks like the presence of the hyphen
probably confused it.

Paul.