ftp windoze <- fc3 works fine, ftp fc3 <- fc3 doesn't work? (for me)

Bob Brennan rbrennan96 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 11:12:01 UTC 2005

With vsftpd or proftpd (doesn't matter) running on my fc3 server I can
ftp between a Windoze XP command box and the server with no problems.

Dual-booted on the same machine an FC3 terminal session ftp gives the
following (on any machine I have tried it on, to the same server):

Connected to myserver.net.
220 FTP Server ready.
500 AUTH not understood
500 AUTH not understood
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
[login]
230 Anonymous login ok, restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.

...now I can pwd and cd, but cannot ls, get or send.

ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (xx,xxx,xxx,xx,xxx,xxx).
ftp: connect: No route to host
ftp> pwd
257 "/pub" is current directory.

THE QUESTION: My guess is that the FC3 ftp is limitiing what the user
can do due to authentication failures, is there anything I can change
on the server so that it will accept the default FC3 ftp the same way
it accepts the default Wondoze ftp?

I *hate* having to tell users they have to use a Windoze ftp and not
Linux, *or* to suggest any changes to the client ftp settings. My
preferred ftp server is proFTP, only because of Webmin support.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / pointers.
bob