Info: NeroLINUX published - Nero burning software for Linux platforms

Nils Holland nholland at tisys.org
Mon Mar 14 11:30:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 17:14 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:

> I see it as an attempt to enter the Linux world, but without support and
> a means of feedback to see what users like/dislike then why should
> anyone choose their product.... Especially since it REQUIRES that I
> already own a Windows version that I can register to try it.  I hate to
> bust your bubble, but I am not going to purchase both Windows and a
> windows version of Nero just to see what it is and if I like the version
> on Linux.

Again, this is not necessary! If you wanted to try it, just buy a Nero 6
serial number from Ahead. That number can be entered right away in the
Windows version if you want to download that one. Now, if you want to
use the Linux version, you'd just have to go to another form on a
website (namely this one: http://register.nero.com/deu/register1.asp),
enter your serial number there, and you can download and use the Linux
version.

Now, actually, there's one difference between Linux and Windows: For the
Windows version, you could go into your local computer store and
"anonymously" buy the Nero 6 package. In case of the Linux version,
however, you have to give Ahead some personal information like your
name, address, etc. in order to get it. This is due to the additional
registration that I've mentioned above, which is required for the Linux
version (but not for the Windows version, because you can get that
without ever having to visit Ahead's website).

So ... what strikes me most here is this: Ahead says they don't want to
support their Linux version, yet they want to have your personal data.
This looks a bit strange to me! In my opinion, if they don't want to
support it, they should offer it *anonymously*. On the other hand, if
they collect the personal data of all their Linux users, this would be
ideal for a kind of "user-feedback-driven-test-release". That would make
sense to me, but what they are doing now can really be seen as a bit
strange.

Greetings,
Nils