CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive and device permission

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Mar 14 11:38:17 UTC 2005

Francois Ouellette wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> There was a thread a few days ago about this, but I still need some help
> with the CD drive.
>
> The /etc/fstab entry always comes up like this:
>
> /dev/hdc  /media/cdrecorder  auto pamconsole,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
>
> and /dev/hdc is always set with no permission for others after booting up,
> so the CD player can never start properly when a disc is put in the drive.
> This is a LG GCC-4521B CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive. I am using the
> 2.6.10-1.770_FC3 kernel.
>
> Can we set something in HAL to make sure the device entry always allows
> access to others?

The device should come up with permissions 0600 *but* owned by the user
logged in at the console, so that user can access the device but nobody
else can.

Do you want multiple users to be able to access the drive, or just the
console user, who is likely to be the only one that has physical access
to the drive?

Paul.