telnet, ftp, and Fedora core 3

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Mar 14 11:44:33 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 19:51 -0800, Betty Chang wrote:
>
>>Hi -- how do I get fedora core3 to be configured to run telnet and ftp
>>servers?
>>
>>I've played around with the Services configuration screen, and the security
>>settings, but somehow I cannot get an
>>ftp or a telnet going.
>>

>>Thanks
>>
>>BEtty
>>

> Someone else has already told you about vsftp.
>
> I do NOT recommend telnet because of security.  FC3 (as most
> distributions of Linux) has ssh already installed.  To enable it simply
> "# chkconfig sshd on" followed by "# service sshd start"
>
> Then with any ssh client you can connect similar to telnet but in secure
> encrypted mode.

ftp is of course as insecure as telnet, and for the same reasons. The
only "safe" use of ftp is for use on servers where you want anonymous
clients to be able to download files.

The better way is to set up an ssh server, as described above, which
will by default also provide a "secure ftp" service, which you can
access using "sftp".

Paul.