ftp windoze <- fc3 works fine, ftp fc3 <- fc3 doesn't work? (for me)

Bob Brennan rbrennan96 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 12:35:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:21:51 +0100, Alexander Boström <abo at kth.se> wrote:
> mån 2005-03-14 klockan 11:12 +0000 skrev Bob Brennan:
>
> > ftp> ls
> > 227 Entering Passive Mode (xx,xxx,xxx,xx,xxx,xxx).
> > ftp: connect: No route to host
>
> Sounds like a firewall problem. But why don't you use SFTP instead? On
> Windows you can use WinSCP, Filezilla and the commercial SSH client. On
> FC3 you might be able to use Nautilus as a SFTP client.

Thanks Alexander but what I really need is KISS U -> Keep It Simple
for Simple Users.

I doubt it's a firewall problem since the same machine running XP is
easy and flawless, and using FC3 there is a connection but it is
limited to "pwd" and "cd" and will not allow ls, or get or send; which
kinda important.

The last ftp user (sales-type) that needed to download a large
presentation needed step-by-step instructions that went like...
1. on the windows Start Menu
2. choose Run
3. enter command.com [don't forget to press the Enter key]
4. when you see a little black box enter blah blah blah for many more lines

"ftp myserver.net, log on as 'anonymous', enter 'get filename.ppt''"
is challenging enough but is universal to all machines and fairly
idiot proof - on Windoze machines.

...unless it's my server running proFTP and getting a connection from
_FC3_ ftp. My question is how to KISS just plain old ftp from FC3?

thanks,
bob