ftp windoze <- fc3 works fine, ftp fc3 <- fc3 doesn't work? (for me)

Bob Brennan rbrennan96 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 14:06:45 UTC 2005

> > In FC3 I can only pwd and cd,
> > as you can see below. So the connection in FC3 is good,
>
> I assure you, it is a firewall problem. FTP sets up additional
> connections for some operations, like list, get and put. This connection
> fails with "No route to host" which is typical for the FC3 firewall.
>
> FTP can work around problems caused by firewalls, but not if both the
> client and the server stops the connection in the firewall. That's why
> it works when only one end has a firewall. The FC3 firewalls lets the
> first connection through, but not the additional connections.

ok -
1. The FC3 server is firewalled with only http, ftp, pop, smtp, and ssh open
2. An FC3 box on the same LAN has the same symptoms as remote machines
(ie Windoze ok & FC3 not)
3. XP on the remote client works with XP SP2 firewall fully enabled,
FC3 on the same machine does not work with all firewalls disabled.

I'm assuming you mean I must open more ports on the server - that's
fine - which? I am not at the server right now but I will test your
theory by opening all ports on the server (briefly) and trying to ftp
from the local LAN FC3, but that of course is unworkable on an exposed
server, even if it did solve the problem.

bob