ftp windoze <- fc3 works fine, ftp fc3 <- fc3 doesn't work? (for me)

Bob Brennan rbrennan96 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 14:17:39 UTC 2005

> > 230 Anonymous login ok, restrictions apply.
> > Remote system type is UNIX.
> > Using binary mode to transfer files.
>
> If, at this point, you use the command "pass off", what happens?

BINGO! all commands now work. I need to now research proFTP
configuration, I believe there is a setting regarding PASSIVE MODE.
Let's assume Windoze ftp program runs in passive mode by default(?)

Any security reasons to *not* set up the ftp server to default to
passive mode, or to accept passive mode connections (whichever the
config option is)? I suppse it's not a hardship to tell an FC3 ftp-er
(s)he needs to set passive mode on connection, I can even put it in
the Welcome message. (not that anyone ever reads it...). Setting
"binary" seems to be a better mode then ASCII too, which seems to be a
bad default.

> > ftp> ls
> > 227 Entering Passive Mode (xx,xxx,xxx,xx,xxx,xxx).
> > ftp: connect: No route to host
>
> Is there a layer of network address translation going on between client
> and server?

The symptoms are the same using an identical FC3 machine on the same
LAN, from machine 10.0.0.11 to machine 10.0.0.10

Thanks!
bob