Multiple DHCP'd addresses on one NIC

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Mar 14 15:18:23 UTC 2005

Aaron O'Hara wrote:

> My ISP officially allows for multiple dynamic IPs on a single account
> (Shaw in British Columbia, Canada).  It's an official option, but
> currently requires 1 NIC per IP.  I already have 3 public IPs spread
> over 3 machines.  I want to amalgamate them to one 'box' for centralized
> firewall purposes.

However, it is limited depending on the plan you have.  You can't simply
plug 4 quad ethernet cards and have 16 dynamic addresses.  I don't know
if they are actually checking how many IP addresses you used.

With standard "high speed internet", they allow 2 dynamic IP addresses
per customer.  For bussiness packages, they allow more (5 dynamic for
SOHO, 8 dynamic for professinal, 1 static and 8 dynamic for bussiness).
  You can get additional dynamic and static IP addresses for a monthly
fee, however this option is available only for SOHO, profesional and
bussiness packages.  2 static addresses are something like $20/month.