httpd serving wrong DocumentRoot

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Mar 14 17:47:51 UTC 2005

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
>>As said before, I think by Paul too, having a DocumentRoot on a FAT
>>partition sounds "crazy". Why? Because FAT does know _nothing_ about
>>UNIX permissions. Run your Apache documents on a Linux filesystem and
>>the ghosts will as quickly disappear.
>

> using a vfat partition - I can understand that you think it'øs crazy
> but then I'm quite new to linux and don't quite feel comfortable
> losing the possibility to read the files in /www from my winXP
> installation. That's just what I'm used to. I'll accept if it can't be
> done - but it sounds like it _can_ be but it's problematic (at least
> for me so far).
>
> so I either give up and lose my safety net while i continue to learn
> linux (seems rather rash) or I keep trying to make this work.
>
> but, *i do* understand why you might think i'm being silly - I just
> want to play safe.

Another option you might want to try would be mount your FAT32 partition
on /var/www/html instead of on /mnt/SharedFiles/www and set the
DocumentRoot back to the default setting?

That would at least eliminate the DocumentRoot configuration changes as
a reason for any failure, leaving you just with permissions etc. as reasons.

Paul.