FC3 - Cannot mount data CDs/DVDs

Mon Mar 14 18:19:59 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
>> Paul Howarth wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Normally these are good signs, and it would mean that the device
>>> would be mounted automatically when the media is inserted. Are you
>>> *sure* that's not happening?
>>>
>>> What's the output of "mount" with no parameters after inserting a CD
>>> data disc?
>>>
>>> Paul
>>

>> I get the following:
>>
>> $ mount
>> /dev/hdc6 on / type ext3 (rw)
>> none on /proc type proc (rw)
>> none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
>> none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
>> usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
>> /dev/hdc3 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
>> none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
>> /dev/hdc5 on /home type ext3 (rw)
>> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
>> sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
>>

>> Some additional info. I should mention that I am running Xfce 4.2, not
>> GNOME, though I tried this all in GNOME as well with similar outcomes.
>>
>> Also, I found that if I change the entry in /etc/fstab for /dev/hda to:
>>
>> /dev/hda /media/cdrecorder auto noauto,user,ro 0 0
>>
>> I can in fact mount the same CD and DVD data discs just fine.
>>
>> In fact, I can use the Nautilus CD burning feature, which I could not
>> use before (even though I use Rox as my primary FM).
>>
>> Also, k3b can now also display the contents of the data CD/DVD where it
>> could not before. It would only indicate that there was pre-existing
>> stuff on the disc and prompt to confirm erasure before burning.
>>
>> So there is something going on with the original settings it would seem.
>>
>> I seem to have a work around for the moment, but any other ideas would
>> be welcome.
>

> I think gnome-volume-manager is what's responsible for doing the
> mounting under gnome. It'll be different in KDE and different again in
> xfce. If you can't find an equivalent for XFCE, you're probably best off
> sticking with your workaround.

Paul,

I probably will for now.

I just noted another post on a similar CD mounting subject, suggesting
that the problem may be somehow related to the two most recent kernels.
I guess that I don't have a specifc time point in mind on this, but I
may try to go back and install the 681 kernel to see if that makes any
difference here.

If so, it suggests that perhaps something changed in the 700 series kernels.

Thanks,

Marc