sendmail/clamav-milter problem

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Mar 15 00:10:33 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 15.03.2005 schrieb rado um 1:01:

> Hi Y'all,
> runnin fc3, sendmail 8.13.1-2, clamav 0.83-1.
>
> I catch this message from /var/log/messages at boot:
>  sendmail: WARNING: Xclmilter: local socket name /var/run/clmilter.sock
> missing
>
> ...looked in /var/run/  ....no clmilter.sock
>
> then I did # find / -name clmilter.sock          ....nowhere on the
> system

> John Rose

The error means what it says: Sendmail expects the socket file where
defined and there is none. You have something like

INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clmilter', `S=unix:/var/run/clmilter.sock, F=T,
T=S:4m;R:4m;E:4m')dnl

in your /etc/mail/sendmail.mc. Sendmail tries to access this socket file
when starten. So you should have started the clamav-milter service prior
to the Sendmail service start. And of course you must have started it at
all. And be sure the /etc/sysconfig/clamav-milter configuration file
contains the same socket file location and name as specified in the
sendmail.mc.

http://www.fedoranews.org/contributors/ron_goulard/clamav/

is a well written article, explaining some important details.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 01:04:44 up 2 days, 3:37, load average: 0.14, 0.12, 0.14