Removing unwanted kernels

Paul Almquist paul at almquist.name
Tue Mar 15 01:10:18 UTC 2005

On Monday 14 March 2005 15:02, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 11:13 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> > For example, I have:
> > >rpm -qa | grep kernel-2 ; rpm -qa | grep kernel-sm
>
> An aside to the discussion - the following is a LOT more efficient than
> the above:
>
> # rpm -q kernel kernel-smp

True if you know the exact spelling of the package name, case and special
characters included.  But 151 packages on my FC3 system have package names
that are mixed case, 38 packages underscores in their name rather than
hyphens (dashes) or in addition to hyphens.  57 have the string fc3 while 84
have FC3.  Fortunately none have spaces in their names.  So if I am not
exactly sure of the spelling I will do:  rpm -qa| grep -i  regex   where the
regular expression is usually just a few letters, enough to produce a short
list.  Lots of inconsistencies exist which really ought to be cleaned up.

There is a cron job run daily (/etc/cron.daily/rpm) that generates a file of
packages names that are installed (/var/log/rpmpkgs).  That file could be
grep-ed instead of the output of rpm -qa for faster performance if that file
is current enough. (it runs at 0402 if the box is up or shortly after startup
if you have anacron enabled.)

paul

--
Paul Almquist