hardware question: Intel entry server board SE7221BK1 & Fedora Core 3

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Mar 15 02:00:02 UTC 2005

Hello all!

The advantage of such a nice community base is, that we can share
hardware experiences - I still have in mind a community feeded database
of compatible and non-compatible hardware for Fedora .
I am now in the situation to build and setup a new server system for a
client very urgently as the old server hardware seems to die. So I would
like to hear that the Intel entry server board I now had a close look at
is no problem for the current Linux kernel and Fedora in specific:

http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/SE7221BK1-E/index.htm

Does anybody of you run this board with Fedora Core 3? Any feedback is
welcomed. So especially is SATA problem free with the chipset - the RAID
function seems to be BIOS supported software/driver RAID only and is no
must - and how about the lm_sensors support? I found that the National
Semiconductor LM96000 chip should work with the LM85 module, while for
the National Semiconductor* PC87427 I didn't found anything. Remote
observation of fan radiation and temperatures is needed.
Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3.0 is supported, but that always means the
"costs" to need a specific kernel for the provided drivers & tools. As
security update kernel come out more frequently than such driver updates
are provided such dependency on non open source / GPL software is hardly
acceptable with a system connected to the net 24/7.

Any experience based input is apprechiated. Maybe a suggested alternate?
Who prefers to stay anonym may mail me personally :)

Cheers

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 02:42:27 up 2 days, 5:15, load average: 0.54, 0.51, 0.56