Removing unwanted kernels

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 17:58:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:13:28 -0600, Gustavo Seabra
<gustavo.seabra at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]
> I have a question here. My system, for example, has kernel *and*
> kernel-smp for each kernel release. However, I've never seen it use
> the regular one, only the smp. So, is there *any* good reason to keep
> the regular (not -smp) kernel around? or is it safe to remove those
> too?
>
> For example, I have:
> >rpm -qa | grep kernel-2 ; rpm -qa | grep kernel-sm
> kernel-2.6.10-1.766_FC3
> kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3
> kernel-smp-2.6.10-1.770_FC3
> kernel-smp-2.6.10-1.766_FC3
> >uname -r
> 2.6.10-1.770_FC3smp
>
> So, is there a reason to keep: kernel-2.6.10-1.766_FC3 and
> kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 ?

There are occasionally problems in the SMP kernels that don't exist in
the non-SMP kernels, or at least, there have been in the past*. It's
just a failsafe, so that if something is going wrong, you can try to
non-SMP version of the same kernel and see if it makes a difference. I
would leave at least the most recent one or two around, just in case.

* for example, in FC1, I had a problem for a long time where the SMP
kernels crashed my hyperthreading p4, while the non-SMP kernels were
fine. Since then, I'm using an older computer so I don't know if the
problem still exists (but I doubt it).

--Matt