httpd serving wrong DocumentRoot

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Tue Mar 15 05:46:46 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Duncan Lithgow wrote:
>
>>> As said before, I think by Paul too, having a DocumentRoot on a FAT
>>> partition sounds "crazy". Why? Because FAT does know _nothing_ about
>>> UNIX permissions. Run your Apache documents on a Linux filesystem and
>>> the ghosts will as quickly disappear.
>>

>> using a vfat partition - I can understand that you think it'øs crazy
>> but then I'm quite new to linux and don't quite feel comfortable
>> losing the possibility to read the files in /www from my winXP
>> installation. That's just what I'm used to. I'll accept if it can't be
>> done - but it sounds like it _can_ be but it's problematic (at least
>> for me so far).
>>
>> so I either give up and lose my safety net while i continue to learn
>> linux (seems rather rash) or I keep trying to make this work.
>>
>> but, *i do* understand why you might think i'm being silly - I just
>> want to play safe.
>

> Another option you might want to try would be mount your FAT32 partition
> on /var/www/html instead of on /mnt/SharedFiles/www and set the
> DocumentRoot back to the default setting?
>
> That would at least eliminate the DocumentRoot configuration changes as
> a reason for any failure, leaving you just with permissions etc. as
> reasons.
>
> Paul.

if he's got the partition containing the DocumentRoot formatted FAT32
then I'd bet a steak dinner its definitely a permissions/ownership
problem - that dog just won't hunt.

If the web server is on a different machine than your XP box then just
share the web server's root filesystem over samba. Otherwise I'd
strongly suggest putting your web server's filesystem "back" on a native
linux partition. I have serious doubts you're going to get it to work
from a FAT32 partition and expect to be able to use linux permissions
correctly.

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996