Partition visible to both XP and Fedora?

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 08:51:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:32:33 -0000, Irving, Dave
<Dave.Irving at logicacmg.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday I managed to get my new laptop dual-booted with Fedora 3 and
> XP.
> Something I've found very quickly is that I'd like to be able to share
> files between the two. I've got CD writer on my laptop, so I guess two
> easy options are:
> - use CD
> - get a memory stick
>
> However, Im wondering if its possible to create a partition which can be
> mounted by both XP and Linux. Is this possible / easy?

Hey,

Create one fat parition in your windows Xp and from the linux you can
put the files.Like suppose u have one partition fat d:\ in windows xp.

You can mount that partition in linux like this

mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt/win

but u need to know where is ur fat partition is residing in this
example i have taken /dev/hda 2.
You can use   fdisk -l /dev/hda  (if this is ur primary hdd )

for primary slave /dev/hdb
for secondary  master /dev/hdc
for secondary slave /de/hdd

These entries are for ide hard disks.

then you will see after giving fdisk -l /dev/hd? at the command prompt

 (press m for help)  press p

you will all the partition of this hard drive find the hard drive on
which your fat partition resides.

you see the command

mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt/win

make sure what ever mount point your giving for /dev/hda should exist
in this win folder or directory under /mnt should exist.

For permanent entry in the /etc/fstab so that you need to manually
mount the partition do this

/dev/hd?        /mnt/win          vfat         defaults    0 0

 replace ? with  a b c or d and 1 or 2 or 3
like hda1 or 2

Please don't mount any ntfs partition for writing  ,as it is dangerous
doing that can crash ur linux or windows.

Regards

Ankush