Partition visible to both XP and Fedora?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Mar 15 10:52:49 UTC 2005

Kumara wrote:
> if we use FAT32 instead NTFS, XP or NT itself gets degraded? it is no matter
> for me. but if it is in another system, should they be FAT32 too to
> communicate with Linux machines?
> I am bit confused

Use a FAT32 partition on dual-boot (XP and Linux) machines where you
want to share data between the different operating systems on the same
machine. This does not mean that the whole XP system needs to be FAT32
rather than NTFS; use NTFS for the main system partition and create
another FAT32 partition for the shared data area.

For sharing data over a network, NTFS is fine; samba on Linux talks to
the "samba" server on Windows, which knows how to write to NTFS partitions.

Paul.