Swish-e remote FC list archive search

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Tue Mar 15 15:53:44 UTC 2005

Hi all,

This is just a heads up. The first indexing run of the Fedora Core
archives ran for over 15 hours and wasn't finished when I was forced to
kill the process because it was tying up resources on my workstation. I
was ssh'd into the box doing the indexing.

I've since restarted that process via a cron job and unless I miss my
guess it should be completely done some time tomorrow AM EST.

Here's the URL where this index can be searched from. Since I haven't
yet tested this myself I can't guarentee the links will be good ones
since there is a chance the configuration is a little off - I normally
like to test the configuration to make sure I've got the swish.conf file
setup correctly. But since indexing this HUGE store of messages takes
such a long time even over a DSL line I won't know for certain until
some time tomorrow morning whether or not I've configured things correctly.

The URL to access the search engine is thus:
http://searchfedora.mdw1982.com/cgi-bin/swish.cgi

Any searches done "before" the indexing is done will return the
following error:

Index file error: Could not open the index file '../searchfedora.index':
No such file or directory

If you see this error it simply means that indexing is not yet complete,
so come back at a later time and try again. I'm really very curious to
see if Swish-e will do a better job than the current search engine being
used.

If it does then I can easily pass off the configuration to someone with
far more bandwidth and processor power on a server that is publically
accessible for the purposes of hosting a remote archive search. Judging
from the activity level of this list which directly dictates the
frequency of which the index would have to be refreshed I simply don't
have the bandwidth or the processing power to host a live remote search
host for the archives.

--
Mark