How to tell if you have been cracked?

Paul Almquist paul at almquist.name
Tue Mar 15 16:21:46 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 08:58, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 09:38 -0500, Neal Wilkinson wrote:
> > So I get up this morning and turn on my monitor and there is a picture
> > of a guy performing felatio on himself up on my screen.
>
> That sounds familiar---I think I read someone on Slashdot yesterday who
> mentioned the same thing. I can't remember in which discussion it was
> though.
>
> > Seemingly a
> > screen saver although I can't find it in the list.
>
> I'm fairly certain the only screensaver it could possibly be is
> WebCollage which downloads random pictures from the web. If that is
> deselected in your choice of screensavers then you can be sure that
> wasn't the problem.
>
> Best, Darren

When I first heard about webcollage about a month ago I went a step further
and removed the following 5 files so there would be no way it could get
accidentally re-enabled.
                        /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage
                        /usr/X11R6/man/man1/webcollage.1.gz
                        /usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers/webcollage.desktop
                        /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage-helper
                        /usr/share/control-center/screensavers/webcollage.xml
Now it does not even show up in the list of screen savers.
Note that if you do an rpm verify these files will be reported as missing, but
that is to be expected.

paul
--
Paul Almquist