hardware question: Intel entry server board SE7221BK1 & Fedora Core 3

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Mar 15 16:39:16 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 15.03.2005 schrieb Scot L. Harris um 5:18:

> > http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/SE7221BK1-E/index.htm

> I have not used that particular board.  I can say that the Silicon
> Image, Inc. SiI 3114 chip set works well for SATA drives and is
> supported out of the box by FC3.

Ok.

> The same board has Integrated Technology Express, Inc. IT/ITE8212 Dual
> channel ATA RAID controller (PCI version seems to be IT8212, embedded
> seems (rev 13) which does not appear to work out of the box.  However
> that was before I turned off the fast scan feature.  It may work now but
> I have not tested again yet.

Seems to be supported now:

$ /sbin/modinfo it821x
parm:           it8212_noraid:Force card into bypass mode
author:         Alan Cox
license:        GPL

I think the ICH6 should do without a major problem, I hope so. AHCI
isn't supported so far IMHO, and would not give you any advantage from
what I did read. You only will have to choose for IDE or AHCI mode in
BIOS at install time and you can't switch later without need for
reinstall.

> If the board has a Marvell Yukon 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet
> 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter you will need to install a driver that is not
> included with FC3.  This does mean that every time you update the kernel
> this driver must be rebuilt.

Unfortunately the Marvell chipset seems to be widely spreaded on current
motherboards. And the need to build the network driver your own each
time you update is kernel is nothing I like for a remote box where the
only link with is the network cable. The Intel board I have an eye on
has an Intel own network controller - one might say this is to be
expected but that's not typically the case and Intel has several boards
with the Marvell PHY.

> Scot L. Harris

Thank you Scot for your reply and comments from point of experience.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:29:40 up 2 days, 20:02, load average: 0.53, 0.48, 0.60