How to access to the windows boxes in the network?

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 16:49:52 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:40:59 +0800, yufan <iamyufan at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello all,
> How can my FC3 access to the windows boxes in the same network? My
> samba is working but i can not see any windows com's name in the
> windows network under the network server. i tried Redhat9.0 before and
> it could access to other systems with ease but i don know why FC3
> cannot. Shall i configure anything for samba? pls help me
> thanks in advance

Hey,

 I don't know how to access the windows share through network
neighbourhood in linux.But you can access the windows shares on linux.

mount -t smbfs //windows_machine/share_folder /linux_mount/directory
-o user=windows_user

then it will ask for the password give the password of the windows
user you will be able to access the windows shares.
You have to do this for all the windows shares.

For fstab entry

//windows_machine/share_folder      /linux_mount/directory     smbfs
   credentials =/etc/.smb     0 0

in /etc/.smb file

username = windows_username(valid windows user)

password =windows username's password

If your trying to access win2k3 shares you will receive errors

for win2k3 shares use CIFS

mount -t cifs //windows_machine/share_folder  /linux_mountpoint/directory
-o username=windows_user

then it will ask for the password

For fstab entry

replace smbfs with cifs in the previous entry.

Regards

Ankush