Swish-e remote FC list archive search

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Tue Mar 15 17:56:56 UTC 2005

William Hooper wrote:
> Mark Weaver said:
>
>>I can't answer that because I'm not aware of the other two you speak of.
>

> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general

thank you for the links. So far from what I've seen I think you'll be
pleasantly surprised at how well Swish-e does indexing and then
displayes its information when doing searches with it.

so far, comparing results from the first link's results page for my
search terms I notice first that the index isn't current - thats not
really an issue as far as performance and thoroughness in concerned
because that is easily corrected. However, the second thing I noticed is
that the results being displayed are not ranked at all so I don't have
any definitive way at first glance to tell which link is mostly likely
to provide me with the information I'm looking for.

Yes, I know Google doesn't display that information either, but its
implied since the serps display the results, in descending fashion,
according to relevance to the submitted query. Swish does the same
thing, but also labels the results displayed with its rank according to
how much weight the returned results has with your search terms.

It isn't readily apparent as to whether or not the engines at the end of
either of these links does word stemming whereas Swish does. That is
incredibly helpful when attempting to locate information. Since I'm not
a search engine expert these are only my observations and opinions.

--
Mark