Restoring rpm packages

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Mar 15 18:05:12 UTC 2005

On Tue 15 Mar 2005 00:36, Matthew Miller wrote:

> > In any case, what I would like to do is to verify all the rpm packages
> > on the system, and to re-install any that are damaged.
> > Is that possible?
> > If it is, is there any script that would simplify the task?
>
> Try 'rpm -Va', to verify all installed packages. (Look at the rpm man page
> to see what the resulting codes mean.) You'll get some "false positives"
> from config files, etc., which change in the course of normal events.

Thanks for your response.
I knew of the "rpm -V" command, though it didn't occur to me
that one could combine it with "-a";
my idea was just to run through all the packages listed in /var/log/rpmpkgs .

However, I ran "rpm -Va" on my laptop last night
(capturing the response with script)
but I am not really sure how to use the result.
For one thing, it would be tedious to find all the packages
in which the files mention occur.

As I said, it would be nice to have a script "CheckMyPackages"
which would just go through installed packages
running "rpm -Uvh --force" for those that have been changed.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366