hardware question: Intel entry server board SE7221BK1 & Fedora Core 3

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Mar 15 20:06:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 11:39, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Di, den 15.03.2005 schrieb Scot L. Harris um 5:18:
>

> > If the board has a Marvell Yukon 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet
> > 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter you will need to install a driver that is not
> > included with FC3.  This does mean that every time you update the kernel
> > this driver must be rebuilt.
>
> Unfortunately the Marvell chipset seems to be widely spreaded on current
> motherboards. And the need to build the network driver your own each
> time you update is kernel is nothing I like for a remote box where the
> only link with is the network cable. The Intel board I have an eye on
> has an Intel own network controller - one might say this is to be
> expected but that's not typically the case and Intel has several boards
> with the Marvell PHY.

Hopefully in the next FC release this problem will be fixed.  On that
same motherboard I have a Marvel wireless chipset as well.  Have tried
driverloader but that hung the system.  Even when using a 16k stack
size.  So that part I don't have working yet.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Another such victory over the Romans, and we are undone.
		-- Pyrrhus