How to access to the windows boxes in the network?

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Tue Mar 15 21:36:49 UTC 2005

Ankush Grover ha scritto/wrote il giorno/on 15/03/2005 17:49:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:40:59 +0800, yufan <iamyufan at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>hello all,
>>How can my FC3 access to the windows boxes in the same network? My
>>samba is working but i can not see any windows com's name in the
>>windows network under the network server. i tried Redhat9.0 before and
>>it could access to other systems with ease but i don know why FC3
>>cannot. Shall i configure anything for samba? pls help me
>>thanks in advance
>>

>Hey,
>
> I don't know how to access the windows share through network
>neighbourhood in linux.But you can access the windows shares on linux.
>
>mount -t smbfs //windows_machine/share_folder /linux_mount/directory
>-o user=windows_user
>
>then it will ask for the password give the password of the windows
>user you will be able to access the windows shares.
>You have to do this for all the windows shares.
>
>For fstab entry
>
>//windows_machine/share_folder      /linux_mount/directory     smbfs
>   credentials =/etc/.smb     0 0
>
>in /etc/.smb file
>
>username = windows_username(valid windows user)
>
>password =windows username's password
>
>If your trying to access win2k3 shares you will receive errors
>
>for win2k3 shares use CIFS
>
>mount -t cifs //windows_machine/share_folder  /linux_mountpoint/directory
>-o username=windows_user
>
>then it will ask for the password
>
>For fstab entry
>
>replace smbfs with cifs in the previous entry.
>
>Regards
>
>Ankush

Excellent solution for a Linux guru, not for a standard office (or home)
user :consider for example in case you have some laptops connecting to
your network and you want to access them to get some data...the IT
network is not Linux only world!!!
Same problem here, trying to access shared Windows folders is a
pain(sometimes it works, sometimes not, some shared folders seems to be
more accessible than others): and it was working in previous releases.

--

 Antonio M.

 Working with  Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 3