Sata drives with nforce3 chip set on Motherboard

John Pearson jpearson42 at wowway.com
Wed Mar 16 00:37:43 UTC 2005

On Monday 14 March 2005 07:56 pm, you wrote:
> I purchased, last weekend, new kit including a Gigabyte GA-K8NS
> motherboard, Athlon 64 2800+ processor, and a Seagate 80G sata drive.
>
> The dvd iso has an unusable version of kernel and drivers. It will not deal
> with  the sata drive.  I mounted a 14 year old, 8.0G pata drive, and did a
> preliminary install.  When I upgraded to a later kernel, then I could find
> the sata drive [only as /dev/sda, rather than /dev/hde].  I took root,
> fdisk'd, mkfs'd, and mounted the drive without incident.
>
> I am looking for one of two bits of information:  One, how would I modify
> the first iso image of the set so that I can do a proper install to the
> sata drive.  Or two, what is involved in transferring the running
> installation to the sata drive from the creaky, slow, old ide drive upon
> which it now resides.
>
> Thanks in advance.  Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> -Jpearson
Is this a bad description?
Is this the wrong list upon which to post this kind of question?
Where might the right list be?
I have spent the last 2 days - RTFM'ing, googling, pushing, poking, and
prodding with little to show for the effort.  I would like to bring up this
computer with a Fedora Core 3 installation.  If there is no way, then fine.
But if there is a chance...  If there might be a way to create an updated
iso, or in some other way make this work, I would be thankful for any advice.

-jp