Sata drives with nforce3 chip set on Motherboard

Billy Tallis wtallis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 02:39:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:37:43 -0500, John Pearson <jpearson42 at wowway.com> wrote:
> On Monday 14 March 2005 07:56 pm, you wrote:
> > I purchased, last weekend, new kit including a Gigabyte GA-K8NS
> > motherboard, Athlon 64 2800+ processor, and a Seagate 80G sata drive.
> >
> > The dvd iso has an unusable version of kernel and drivers. It will not deal
> > with  the sata drive.  I mounted a 14 year old, 8.0G pata drive, and did a
> > preliminary install.  When I upgraded to a later kernel, then I could find
> > the sata drive [only as /dev/sda, rather than /dev/hde].  I took root,
> > fdisk'd, mkfs'd, and mounted the drive without incident.
> >
> > I am looking for one of two bits of information:  One, how would I modify
> > the first iso image of the set so that I can do a proper install to the
> > sata drive.  Or two, what is involved in transferring the running
> > installation to the sata drive from the creaky, slow, old ide drive upon
> > which it now resides.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.  Any insight would be appreciated.
> >
> > -Jpearson
> Is this a bad description?
> Is this the wrong list upon which to post this kind of question?
> Where might the right list be?
> I have spent the last 2 days - RTFM'ing, googling, pushing, poking, and
> prodding with little to show for the effort.  I would like to bring up this
> computer with a Fedora Core 3 installation.  If there is no way, then fine.
> But if there is a chance...  If there might be a way to create an updated
> iso, or in some other way make this work, I would be thankful for any advice.
>
> -jp

This is the right place to ask such questions. I would guess that
there are just not any other people with your problem on the list now.
The first step would be to submit a bug report about the installation
disc. FC4 will probably have the necessary drivers, if that is the
problem. As for making your own ISO, the fact that you are asking
shows that you do not have the expertise to do so yet. Neither do I.
Few people do. By the time you could get a working custom ISO, FC4
will probably be out. For now, see if it is acceptable to leave the
old drive as your root and boot partitions, and set up the other drive
from the IDE drive. You may be able to just copy everything over to
the other drive, but I have not yet had the need to try. You can also
look around to see if other distros have the necessary drivers.
Another thing would be to see if FC still supports driver diskettes
and see if you can identify the module you need.