Sata drives with nforce3 chip set on Motherboard

John Pearson jpearson42 at wowway.com
Wed Mar 16 03:27:32 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 09:39 pm, Billy Tallis wrote:
> This is the right place to ask such questions. I would guess that
> there are just not any other people with your problem on the list now.
> The first step would be to submit a bug report about the installation
> disc. FC4 will probably have the necessary drivers, if that is the

Thank you very much for taking time to answer.  I did trace down a bug report,
but it is closed at this point in time.

In point of fact, if I can download the next update of the the kernel
2.6.10-something, then the problem goes away.  Which means to me that if i
had an iso with the latest revision of kernel, then the system would work.
and that is why I was wondering about that.

I loaded FC2 and it had no problem with identifying an ide drive as an ide
drive.  But it does not support the ethernet chipset on the motherboard
[sigh].

However, with the sata drive formated by FC2, the FC3 installer finds it
without problem.  I did the install of FC3,  but the 2.6.9 kernel panics when
the handoff arrives.  So...  I am doing a minimum installation on an ide
drive with FC3.  I will do an immediate kernel update,  rsync the sata drive
to the ide drive, and then edit grub.conf.  [All of this with my fingers
crossed. ;-)    Of course, I am open to suggestions, still.

Thanks again.

-jp