Antivirus in FC3?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Wed Mar 16 04:10:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 17:22 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > And there is always the possibility of passing them on.
>
> IMHO, if you can stop a virus or trojan or whatever, do it.  As was
> said above, you could pass it on.  I always download to a quarantine
> directory and run clamscan on it.  Irun all of my mail through
> clamav/milter, bogofilter and spamassassin.  The odds of me passing on
> a virus is fairly remote.  It eats a few CPU cycles, but it's well worth
> it.

    Funny how we're all dancing carefully around the point that the only
reason we have viruses is because management is tied to Microsoft.

    Sure, as Linux comes to even more desktops, there's a better chance
for them to come, too.  But as it stands there are more Linux machines
than Macs, and Symantec reports 6 Linux viruses, only two found in the
wild, and Microsoft is a host to 60,000.

    I'm sure there will be viral threats in Linux's future.  But unlike
the rampant (and lets not forget profitable) home for wayward viruses
called Microsoft, Linux developers will actually _fight_ them, not
release fixes that close some ports and opening more.

    We now have AOL and other services that are burning more than 'a few
cycles' tracing each document going in and out of AOL from millions of
users, while Microsoft, owning all the code (and perhaps
Symantec/McAffee stock) doesn't fix the problems pointed out.

    So go on and on about virus proliferation, but lets not ignore that
the best way to defeat their spread is to stop their host: Windows.

> -           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -

    OH, now THAT's a beautiful tagline.  Thanks!

--
Those who entrust life and limb to Microsoft deserve neither. -Me, 2005
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad